A whopping 88% of high-net-worth (HNW) conventional artwork collectors say they’re taken with shopping for digital artwork within the type of NFTs, a brand new report on the artwork marketplace for 2022 has discovered.
In response to The Artwork Market 2022 report, which is printed collectively by the annual artwork exhibition Artwork Basel and Swiss banking big UBS, exercise available in the market for digital artwork will probably stay sturdy in 2022, as extra conventional artwork collectors enter the house.
And whereas 88% of the HNW people who responded to the survey stated that they have been taken with shopping for NFTs, solely 4% stated they have been “in no way .”
The report famous the rising curiosity in NFTs, stating:
“Some of the important developments within the wider artwork trade in 2021 was the explosion of curiosity in NFTs, even when for now most NFT gross sales have been outdoors the normal artwork market.”
Additional, the report additionally famous that greater than half – 56% to be exact – of the surveyed HNW buyers stated that they weren’t simply , however have been really planning to purchase digital artwork.
The determine was even larger amongst collectors who recognized as millennials, with 61% of them planning to make an NFT buy.
Additionally, higher-than-average curiosity was additionally seen amongst collectors from Taiwan, Singapore, and the UK, the place greater than 60% of respondents stated they’re planning to purchase a number of NFTs.
The figures have been primarily based on survey responses from 2,339 high-net-worth collectors who’re “energetic within the artwork market” throughout plenty of giant nations, together with the US, UK, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and others.
“There are not any indicators that the curiosity in NFTs will abate in 2022,” the report commented primarily based on the findings. It added that 2022 is prone to be “a extra telling yr” for assessing whether or not the expansion that has been seen within the NFT market will be sustained.
In the meantime, the report additionally outlined some dangers for the NFT sector, saying that “anybody can mint an NFT for a really low value.”
This could occur “even when they don’t have any proper to the content material, and with mental property infringements usually troublesome to contest because of the anonymity conferred by them,” the artwork market report stated.
It added that low-quality artwork and outright frauds available in the market for digital artwork have made it susceptible to “speculative shopping for and promoting,” and stated this has turn out to be simpler to have interaction in due to the a lot larger transaction speeds within the digital world.
When it comes to different key findings, the report stated that:
- Most sellers and public sale homes are “typically optimistic” concerning the influence of NFTs on the artwork market.
- The highest-tier public sale homes of Sotheby’s and Christie’s offered USD 230m value of NFTs in 2021, whereas general gross revenues for the companies stood at over USD 14bn.
- Platforms (reminiscent of OpenSea) promoting NFTs outdoors the normal artwork market have been “notable and generated substantial gross sales in 2021”.
- Gross sales of each artwork and collectibles NFTs on on-line platforms outdoors the normal artwork market have grown from USD 4.6m in 2019 to USD 11.1bn in 2021.
Be taught extra:
– 80s Icons Madonna, Stallone Carve Out a Slice of the NFT Pie – And Beckham’s Eager, Too
– ‘Something is Attainable in Metaverse’: Decentraland’s Trend Week Attracts 60+ Designers, Manufacturers & Artists
– 6 NFT Use Instances That Will (In all probability) Stay After the Hype Dies Down
– Gustav Klimt’s ‘The Kiss’ Masterpiece is Promoting as 10,000 NFTs
– Bitfinex Says Prospects Able to Splurge USD 0.5B on El Salvador’s Bitcoin Bonds
– Samsung and LG May Observe SK in Issuing a Cryptoasset – Analysts